In Biology, we started learning about pathogens. In groups we were supposed to make a presentation for a seminar. My group’s slideshare is aimed at kids. The full directions are on Male’s blog. I worked with Rochi Hartmann, Luli Giambruni andPancho Mosquera. Here it is:
We have just started studying diarrhoea and cholera, and from what we learnt from watching the following video, we had to answer some questions.
1) Name signs/symptoms caused by cholera.
Diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, dehydration (signs)
Feeling sick (symptom)
2) State ways in which the bacterium spreads in the village.
Through water that hasn’t been purified, through not washed food, through dirty hands, through flies and agents that transport the bacteria (Vibrio cholerae)
3) What is diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is the loss of water and minerals in faeces.
4) How does the cholera bacterium cause diarrhoea?
It produces a toxin that attaches to the wall of the small intestine and affects the villi and makes it secrete chloride. Which causes water from the blood to move into the lumen through osmosis.
5) How did the boy treat his father?
He filtrated the water and boiled it for a minute at a 100°C and then gave him the purified water with half a teaspoon of salt and 6 teaspoons of sugar to obtain again the minerals.
6) Name the different actions which the boy taught to the people in the village to prevent the disease.
To wash their hands before eating and cooking and after going to the toilet, to filtrate the water, to add chlorine to the water, to wash food before eating it, to boil the food while cooking, to keep food away from flies, build bathrooms away of rivers.
The last two poems that we read were: “The Woodspurge” and “Continuum”. And while reading the last one in class, we found that it had some similarities to Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s poem.
- Both poems have similar tones: tormented, disturbed, gloomy, lonely, frustrated, conflicted, unclear; and in the end it turns into peaceful.
- Both poems have themes in common: Man & Nature, Religion, nature and its power to inspire.
- Both poems make reference to the passing of time: “The Woodspurge” – “My naked ears heard the day pass.” & “Continuum” – “A long moment stretches, the next one is not on time.”.
- Both poems make reference to religion. In “The Woodspurge” because the voice is inspired by the cup of three which symbolises the Holy Trinity and that he felt connected to God; and in “Continuum”, in the 7° stanza the writer finally achieves creation, and God created the universe the 7° day.
- Both poems deal with the topic of surrealism and reality. In “The Woodspurge” becuase his mind was lost and the flower brought him back to reality; and in “Continuum” in the quote that says “Not unaccountably the chill of the planking underfoot rises in the throat”, the fact that he starts feeling cold makes him come back to reality.
As to make a deeper analysis of “The Rain Horse”, our techer, Pato, asked us to look up some quotations about important events in the text and try to understand better the story.
I wroked with Rochi and this is our work:
- Man, collar up in driving rain on hillside. Nature is dominant and man is not significant here – bored and frustrated:
“Holding his collar close and tucking his chin down into it”
- First view of “thin, black horse”. Use the similes of ill-omen:
“Over to his right a thin, black horse was running across the ploughlands towards the hill, its head down, neck stretched out. It seemed to be running on its toes like a cat, like a dog up to no good.”
- Man finds shelter through “barricade of brambles” and the ground sucking at his feet:
“In blinding rain he lunged through the barricade of brambles at the wood’s edge.”
- Second view of Horse -“watching him”:
“At the wood top, with the silvered grey light coming in behind it, the black horse was standing under the oaks, its head high and alert, its ears picked, watching him.”
- Horse attack – detail in description:
“…when the ground shook and he heard the crash of a heavy body coming down the wood. Like lightning his legs bounded him upright and about face. The horse was almost on top of him, its head stretching forward, ears flattened and his lips lifted back from the long yellow teeth.
- Horse: “tall as a statue” watching him. NB his state of mind:
“Out in the middle of the first field, tall as a statue, and a ghostly silver in the under-cloud light, stood the horse, watching the wood.”
- Horse attack with onomatopoeia:
“Its whinnying snort and the spattering whack of hooves seemed to be actually inside his head”
- Finds stones as weapons. Note comparison with eggs:
“He picked two stones about the size of goose eggs”
- Horse attack 3, man fights back. Note PF in passage:
“He let out a tearing roar and threw the stone in his right hand. The result was instantaneous. Whether at the roar or the stone the horse reared as if against a wall and shied to the left.
- Horse attack and hit with stones under “superior guidance”:
“With another roar he jumped forward and hurled his other stone. His aim seemed to be under superior guidance.”
- Horse cat-like pain response –domesticity. Man becomes dominant again:
“He felt a little surprise of pity to see it shaking its head, and once it paused to lower its head and paw over its ear with its forehoof as a cat does.”
- Closing image – man in barn. Ashamed and in pain. Other images?:
“There was a solid pain in his chest, like a spike of bone stabbing, that made him wonder if he had strained his heart on that last stupid burdened run. Piece by piece he began to take off his clothes, wringing the grey water out of them, but soon he stopped that and just sat staring at the ground, as if some important part had been cut out of his brain”
Como consigna final para cerrar el proyecto de crear un objeto que modifique tu celular, tuvimos que crear un tutorial del Kit que elegimos.
Este es nuestro video de tutorial del Kit “Pic.to.Light”:
To practice and learn about different types of writings, we had to prepare a presentation on one of them explaining what it was, its structure, and useful vocabulary.
I had to talk about articles:
En nuestra clase de computación, teníamos que desarrollar un objeto para usar nuestros celulares de una manera diferente. Con Tomás y Luna creamos un proyector.
Pero luego, tuvimos que cada uno pensar en algún aporte que le podíamos agregar para personalizarlo y evitar que sea un proyector ordinario.
Estos son los materiales que se requieren para crear el mío (¡perdón por la mala calidad de la foto!):
- caja de cartón (color a elección)
- papeles de celofán
- marcadores para pizarrón
Yo pensé en transformarlo en un ‘Kit de Fotografía’. Esto consiste en que uno puede elegir una foto en su celular y proyectarla para que luego alguien se pare en frente y se haga una sesión de fotos. Las siguiente fotos que encontré online son un claro ejemplo de cómo funcionaría:
Pero esta no es la única función posible. Entre los materiales, se ven papeles de celofán, que sirven para colocar entre el celular y la lupa. Al hacer esto, se proyecta, ya sea, una imagen, o una foto blanca, o la luz de una linterna; y se refleja con un color diferente. También se puede jugar con los papeles y recortarlos creando diferentes formas o un collage. Las siguientes fotos son ejemplos de cómo podría quedar:
Y por último, la función final. En la imagen que mostraba los materiales, también se podían ver marcadores. Estos sirven por si alguien quiere escribir o dibujar en uno de los papeles de celofán y que se proyecte alguna palabra o algún dibujo.
Su uso es muy simple. Solo hay que enganchar los dos ganchitos juntos, creando una estructura donde va a ir apoyado el celular; apoyar el celular, con la foto a elección ya puesta, y en caso de que se quiera implementar la técnica de cambio de color, colocar un papel de celofán, escrito o no, entre el teléfono y la lupa. Al elegir la foto, para que se proyecte correctamente, hay que darla vuelta. Sino, saldrá proyectada al revés. Para hacer esto, hay que habilitar la opción en el celular de “bloqueo de rotación”.
Esta es la manera de poner los ganchitos juntos para que sirvan para apoyar el celular:
Finalmente, la gran ventaja de este objeto, es que es una caja. Uno la puede guardar simplemente en una repisa, o en el piso, o en un escritorio. Además, uno la puede decorar para que sirva de decoración para algún cuarto.